This Saturday I decided to see how attainable my stated goal for the half marathon really is.
The run started out fine, but I have to admit that the last half didn’t go that well. I didn’t feel anywhere near as strong as I did just a week ago on my first 12 mile run. But, I did finish the run and I came very close to the goal I have set for the race. The goal is 1:55:00 and I completed this run in 1:55:31.
There are a couple reasons for worry:
- It was an absolutely perfect day. Very little wind, mid-fifties, clear blue skies. Who knows what race day will bring.
- While there were some hills in my run, there was nothing that compares to Gilbert.
I am just deluded enough to think that there are a couple reasons to be positive too:
- I won’t need to carry my own water around. I hate those damn hydration belts.
- Adrenaline is a wonderful thing.
- Other runners. ‘Nuff said.
All in all, based on this run, I feel like I’ve set a great goal. It’s aggressive enough that it will keep me pushing throughout the race, yet I already know I can do it. When I ran my first ever 10K just over 5 months ago, I was blown away by the effect the crowd had on me. And that was nothing compared to the runner support at the Flying Pig.